Monday, June 8, 2009

My third grade teacher!

Did you ever have a teacher that left such an impression on you that it followed you through life?

For me, it was my third grade teacher, Mr. Sherwood. Now, third grade, in itself, was a big year—creative writing projects, memorizing multiplication tables, reading anything I could get my hands on—but Mr. Sherwood made it even better. It wasn’t just that he sometimes put everything else aside on a sunny day and took us out to play kickball. He was creative, dynamic and inspiring.

Mr. Sherwood had us build an egg box to keep an egg intact that would drop from a helicopter. I think we actually believed we were going to look up one day and see him in a chopper high above the school yard dropping our little egg paratroopers; even though I think we just used a high ladder. But my favorite assignment, the one that set me on the path to Ciao Thyme, was the home cooking challenge. There was just one copy of the Betty Crocker Junior Cookbook in the class. Each night a different student would take it home, choose a recipe, write a shopping list, go to the grocery store, prepare a meal for his/her family and then report back to the class. I couldn’t wait until we got to ‘G,’ for Gillis, so it would be my turn. (By the way, Mataio took my last name, in case you were wondering). When I finally got my turn, I chose to make Pork Chops with Applesauce. While my parents were very complimentary, I was not overly impressed by the dish. So, I asked my mom if we could buy a copy of the book and try some other recipes. One of my favorites, Cornflake Chicken, was on one of my first catering menus (I’ve come a long way!).

Great teachers are few and far between, Olaiya Land is one of them!



She got rave reviews from her sold out class in March, Moroccan Food. Now she is coming back to share some new recipes and her enthusiasm for cooking in Moroccan II on Tuesday at 6:30pm. Don’t miss this chance to learn, eat and be inspired by a great teacher. Who knows, maybe she’ll come from Seattle by helicopter and drop in with eggs in hand!

The response to the latest Ciao Thyme venture 'In the Kitchen' has been very poistive. We are reaching out with new marketing technology, please help us keep track of you... click on the links below to update your information.

If you would prefer not to receive this list, you can Unsubscribe from this list.

- or better yet -

you can Forward this email to a friend it to a friend and have them sign up

Help us keep track of you and gather more information - Update your profile

2 comments:

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

It's my day for a blog hop, I'd love it if you came over and shared one of your great recipes at savory sunday!! Have a great day :)

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

Happy weekend! Don't forget to come over and share a recipe at Savory Sunday!!